Monday 10 January 2011

walled garden, lambay island

I had trouble with the painting and almost abandoned it on one or two occasions. The right-hand-side stair pillars gave me inordinate trouble. The shadowing required a skill I don't have. I also made an error late, when I'd almost completed the painting: I didn't leave a gap to suggest the light that spills through the left-hand-side stair pillars onto the steps and I had to scrub away at the wet paint with a sponge and repaint it. However, I'm moderately pleased with the resulting rescue. This is one watercolour which I feel I might get framed one day. Lambay Island is off the coast of County Dublin, Ireland. I copied this from a photograph in a lovely book called "Ireland's Islands" by Peter Sommerville-Large.

No comments:

Post a Comment